Skip to main content

It Could Have Been an Entirely Different Movie



Image result for same time next year
For years, perhaps decades, one of my favorite movies was "Same Time Next Year" staring Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn.  It is about Doris and George who meet by chance at a small beach side inn and spend a night together.   They decide to meet every year at the same inn on the same weekend and do so for the next 25 years.   Oh, yeah, both are married to other people.   One of the rules of their tryst is that they cannot contact each other and can only see each other at the assigned date.

Wow.  Writing this out it really sounds like a terrible movie.   It is not.  It is actually quite sweet, sometimes sad and there is never a doubt that they both love their spouses.   But they also enjoy their time together for 25 years.

Of course, the viewer doesn't see all 25 reunions. Montages of world events are shown over Johnny Mathis singing a beautiful song  "The Last Time I Felt Like This."   The years of the affair are 1951 - 77. 

Watch Video The Last Time I Felt Like This


I was probably in my late teens or early 20s when I first saw the movie.   I know I wasn't married or even in a relationship at the time.   I loved it!  I thought it was such a sweet movie - Doris and George were both very likable and you could see how this affair would sustain them.   Of course, it was lust at first, but through the years, they really do love each other.  This was my thought at 20.

I met and married my husband - and continued to enjoy the movie when it was on.  We had kids, a mortgage, clubs, sports....and then it occurred to me that I was watching a horrible movie.  Why do these two people get a weekend away from the daily grind of life?    Their poor spouses are at home doing what they need to be doing unaware that these two boobs are out getting their jollies in ways we won't mention!   They are horrible people.   And even though I knew the movie by heart, I wanted them to be hurt on an emotional level.   They were cheating.    This is my thought at about 35.

My life moved on - I would watch the movie if it ever came on because deep down, I truly did love the movie.   I knew the two main characters loved each other so much they would never intrude on the other's life.   They respected each other and even though they were cheating, they were giving each other a part of themselves that no one could have.   Still cheating, I get it, but OK - we're all adults here.

I recently saw the DVD for Same Time Next Year at the library and realized I had not seen it for years.   Much like in the movie - years and decades had passed - so I borrowed it for old times sake

My only thought during the entire move......

FOR 25 YEARS, DORIS GIVES UP AN ENTIRE WEEKEND TO MEET THIS SCHMUCK WHEN SHE COULD HAVE HAD THE WHOLE WEEKEND TO HERSELF?????? 

Doris is a fool.

Image result for shaking head



Visit me on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Tinglng, Dammit!

I'm doing a little science project/product review. I have extremely thin lips - nothing new - they've always been thin.  Must be all that talking all my life.  Truly the only skinny thing about me.     I'm all about better living though science - so I am currently trying a hydrating lip plumper. I chose Grande Lips simply because it was in a salon, it was available, and I didn't have to go online and order it.  Did I mention I was lazy?   I went with Clear tone, that way I wasn't cornered into one color. Directions read to apply it twice a day to clean, dry lips for 30 days.  After application I am then free to apply throughout the day with any combinations of other lip products, or alone. This is my lips this morning before applying the plumper. This is after. There was a slight tingling sensation.  It's working dammit! "Don't be alarmed if you feel a slight tingling sensation; that how you know that it's workin

Singing all by Myself

Have you ever been singing loudly with your friends, or a group of people and suddenly everyone stops.  If they aren't staring at you, they are laughing.    It happens to me quite frequently.  There are only two reasons.  One is because I cannot sing and the second is I often mishear lyrics.     Here are a few of my favorite misheard lyrics by me (and the correct lyrics in case you don't know the words, either.  You are welcome!) P robably the worst misheard lyric I claim is from Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart.   The lyrics are: "And I need you now tonight And I need you more than ever And if you only hold me tight We'll be holding on forever And we'll only be making it right 'Cause we'll never be wrong" I totally blame my Catholic education for what I've been singing for 30+ years: And we'll only be naked in Christ    Then there is Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.   Apparently the lyric

Do You Wanna Build a Snow Man? (I Can't. The Boss has Me Shoveling Snow)

 It snowed last night.  A lot.    But fortunately, we bought a snow blower two years ago almost guaranteeing it would not snow last year.   It did not. But, this is a new year and this is my review. Model:  No idea. Maker:  I don't know.  It came from Lowes. Features:  It's red. Price:  It was on sale. Review:   Getcha one. Short and sweet.  Everything you need to know.  Why waste several hours with a shovel when you can turn this baby on and be able to enjoy the rest of your day?   Even the boss gave it thumbs up.