Skip to main content

Singing all by Myself


Part-Time Jobs Maidstone | Earl Street Employment Consultants



Have you ever been singing loudly with your friends, or a group of people and suddenly everyone stops.  If they aren't staring at you, they are laughing.   

It happens to me quite frequently.  There are only two reasons.  One is because I cannot sing and the second is I often mishear lyrics.    

Here are a few of my favorite misheard lyrics by me (and the correct lyrics in case you don't know the words, either.  You are welcome!)

Image result for bonnie tyler total eclipse of the heart
Probably the worst misheard lyric I claim is from Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart.  

The lyrics are:
"And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong"

I totally blame my Catholic education for what I've been singing for 30+ years:
And we'll only be naked in Christ
  

Image result for kenny loggins danger zone

Then there is Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.   Apparently the lyrics are
"Ride into the danger zone"

Other people hear
Highway to the danger zone

What I hear
I wave to the danger zone

Close, I guess.

I've loved Frankie Valli's  December '63 since I was in 6th grade.  I've never known the words to a certain part.

"And I felt a rush like a rolling bolt of thunder
Spinning my head around and taking my body under
Oh, what a night"

I have always just covered my mouth, sneezed, yawned - anything to keep from singing that part.
 Image result for i don't know the words 


Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar was popular in high school.  We would type the lyrics in typing class.

Image result for pat benatar heartbreaker

"You're a heartbreaker, dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me"

I prefer my version

You're a heartbreaker, dream maker, drug taker
Don't you mess around with me


Who doesn't sing along with Bohemian Rhapsody?   Until someone hears your take on the lyrics.....

"Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me"

Image result for queen bohemian rhapsody

My lyrics:
The Algebra book has a devil for a bride for me, for me, for me

Oh oh oh oh no no no no no no no.   Mama Mia Mama Mia!


Hot Chocolate had a great song that has been in several movies, TV shows and commercials.   The correct lyrics to You Sexy Thing are:

"I believe in miracles
Where you from
You sexy thing"

I am not the only person that heard the lyrics as:
I believe in miracles
Where's your bra
You sexy thing

Image result for madonna las isla bonitaMadonna has great clarity when she is singing and her lyrics are not hard to understand.    Except for me.   The lyrics to La Isla Bonita are:

"I fell in love with San Pedro"

Not
I fell in love with soft bagels    (no matter how true it might be.)

Until I actually read the lyrics to this song for this blog entry, I truly did not know the words to Beast of Burden by the Rolling Stones were not

"All this sickness, I could suck a duck"

The lyrics are actually
All this sickness, I just suck it up


All this time I thought Prince had a chilly father in When Doves Cry.
Image result for when doves cry

Maybe I'm just like my father, too cold.

Actually, Prince sings
"Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold"

In fairness, in the movie Purple Rain, his dad seem awful cold and distant.


And lastly - this is not a misheard lyric - but a close but no cigar song title.

Before Adele was super popular, she had a song titled "Chasing Pavement."  It was kind of a haunting tune, but had a great lyrics and I loved to hear it.  I would ask people if they had ever heard it - and no one ever claimed to know the song.  I thought I was really a pioneer in the Adele game.

Turns out I was asking people if they knew the song "Chasing Concrete."   

Image result for adele chasing pavements

Pavement....Concrete....Potato....Potato......Close enough!

What songs have you misheard?    Let me know!   I'd love to hear them!

In addition to eating all by myself, I will be singing all by myself, too.

Find me on Facebook

.

Comments

  1. Acting funny and I dont know why..scuse me while I kiss this guy!!!! Purple Haze

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Tinglng, Dammit!

I'm doing a little science project/product review. I have extremely thin lips - nothing new - they've always been thin.  Must be all that talking all my life.  Truly the only skinny thing about me.     I'm all about better living though science - so I am currently trying a hydrating lip plumper. I chose Grande Lips simply because it was in a salon, it was available, and I didn't have to go online and order it.  Did I mention I was lazy?   I went with Clear tone, that way I wasn't cornered into one color. Directions read to apply it twice a day to clean, dry lips for 30 days.  After application I am then free to apply throughout the day with any combinations of other lip products, or alone. This is my lips this morning before applying the plumper. This is after. There was a slight tingling sensation.  It's working dammit! "Don't be alarmed if you feel a slight tingling sensation; that how you know that it's workin

Do You Wanna Build a Snow Man? (I Can't. The Boss has Me Shoveling Snow)

 It snowed last night.  A lot.    But fortunately, we bought a snow blower two years ago almost guaranteeing it would not snow last year.   It did not. But, this is a new year and this is my review. Model:  No idea. Maker:  I don't know.  It came from Lowes. Features:  It's red. Price:  It was on sale. Review:   Getcha one. Short and sweet.  Everything you need to know.  Why waste several hours with a shovel when you can turn this baby on and be able to enjoy the rest of your day?   Even the boss gave it thumbs up.