Skip to main content

I Might have been Wrong


Image result for breakfast table with newspaper

For five decades I have received a delivered newspaper to my home.

Since relocating to Ohio, we subscribe with home delivery to the Columbus Dispatch.   It was never a question not to subscribe to the paper as we both grew up reading the the paper and and have continued with home delivery wherever we have lived.   Online just didn't seen very cozy.  And I'm a self proclaimed Luddite.

A four week subscription to the Dispatch is now $70.   I'm no mathematician - but that is more than double our current subscription price.   As a courtesy, since I was a long term customer, they did offer me a price of $65.  Thanks?   Time to make a decision.

To me, this is a lot of money, especially when many of the articles refer you to an online article - but frankly, we both enjoyed sitting at the table every morning, enjoying a cup of coffee while reading the paper.

This is hard.   I love reading the paper.   I love circling things for my husband to read.  I love writing pithy comments below the editorials and letters to the editor.  I cut out comics and put them on the refrigerator. 

But, I also love money.

I feel guilty about our paper delivery service.  A young couple delivers our paper every single morning by 5 a.m.   It has never been late, wet or missing a section.  I feel like I'm taking money from them by not resubscribing.

Ultimately, the money won and we now have a digital subscription with weekend delivery.  We welcomed ourselves to the 21st century.   I joined kicking and screaming.   I was adamant about not reading a newspaper online.  It wouldn't "feel" right.  I can't sit at the table and enjoy my coffee while holding an Ipad.  I did not want to sit in front of my laptop and read the paper.  My phone is too small and my eyes are too bad to read it that way.

Reluctantly I downloaded the Columbus Dispatch Electronic Edition app cursing the entire time.

This morning I begrudgingly got out of bed knowing there would not be a paper waiting for me. I fixed my coffee and sat down at the table with my Ipad.   The transition was smooth.  I was able to find everything I wanted to read.  I could make the font as big as I wanted.   And as I was reading, stories had the potential of updating.

Image result for breakfast with ipad

I don't say this often or lightly.   But, I might have been wrong about reading online.

Do you still subscribe to a newspaper?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Looking for Me?

 Alright, peeps!  Big news!   You can now find me at  Fortuosityhouse.com   Want to know what happens when you buy a 180 year old house and have no renovation skills and limited tools?   This is the place to find out!   I'll also blog my new Ohio challenge, media memories from the 70's and 80's and a few of my favorite things.   And sure, a lot of random nothing, too!   A little bit of fortuitious little happy happenstances! This will be my new blog home.   It is much easier to navigate and the posts will be separated by categories making them much easier to find!     I can also be found on Instagram at fortuosity_house and Pinterest at FortuosityHouse.   See you there!  

No Reply at All

Why don't people respond to texts that require immediate attention or can be answered in one word?  Are you alive?   Yes. What time are you leaving?  9:30 What color is your car?  Silver What is the fastest animal?  Cheetah Beatles or Stones?   Stones See how easy that is!    Nobody is asking for a novel, paragraph or even a sentence.  A couple of words is all that is required. A simple emoji will also work.   👎🏻 🍾 🌨  🤔 👀   🐫 ⚰️   🦀   Apple and Samsung have done the work for you.  You just need to hit a button and everyone is happy. I promise if you answer my short text I will quit bothering you.  If you answer with more than a simple yes or no - there probably wont be a followup.   This will save a lot of time and government personnel as I wont have to call the sheriff to do a wellness check, physically drive to your house to see if you are hurt or scan your Facebo...

(There Must Be Some) Misunderstanding

                                          I was overwhelmed with responses to my blog of Jan 19 Singing All By Myself !   Apparently, I am not the only person that mishears or  misunderstands lyrics.   I guess there is some sort of comfort knowing I am not the only one out there. I'll start with one from my own collection.  In the mid 70's there was a song Black Betty by Ram Jam.  Black Betty lyrics were "Oh Black Betty bam ba lam."    My brother would sing "Come back Betty in a scramble van."   A scrambler van, to the unwise, is a vehicle owned by the Barbie.   I kind of prefer that version! Several mentioned mishearing Jimi Hendrix say "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "Excuse me while I kiss the sky"  in Purple Haze.    It was the 60's.....could go either way! A Chicago fan mentioned...