Skip to main content

(There Must Be Some) Misunderstanding

                                         Image result for wrong lyrics
I was overwhelmed with responses to my blog of Jan 19 Singing All By Myself!   Apparently, I am not the only person that mishears or  misunderstands lyrics.   I guess there is some sort of comfort knowing I am not the only one out there.

I'll start with one from my own collection.  In the mid 70's there was a song Black Betty by Ram Jam.  Black Betty lyrics were "Oh Black Betty bam ba lam."    My brother would sing "Come back Betty in a scramble van."   A scrambler van, to the unwise, is a vehicle owned by the Barbie.   I kind of prefer that version!


Several mentioned mishearing Jimi Hendrix say "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "Excuse me while I kiss the sky"  in Purple Haze.    It was the 60's.....could go either way!

A Chicago fan mentioned singing "You're my motel lover" instead of " no tell lover."  She claimed she didn't know what a "No Tell Lover" was when the song first came out.  I have to admit I wasn't familliar with the term either, but I had also never heard of a Motel Lover!

Many readers swear the words to Elton John's  Benny and Jets are "She's got electric boobs" instead of "electric boots."    I could go either way - because I'm not sure of what electric boobs or boots are.

Don't bring me down by ELO has it's own fun fact.  The original lyrics are "Don't bring me down, Groos."  According to author Jeff Lynne, he used "groos" as a filler to add lyrics.   He later learned that "groos" means "greetings," and he left it in.    But so many fans would sing along and say "Bruce" instead of "Groos" that Lynne changed the lyrics for live shows.  My hat is off to Lynne doing that!  Bruce it is!

I don't blame anyone for not knowing the words to Wannabe by the Spice Girls.   Nobody had optional lyrics - but several just mumbled something  to "really really really wanna zigazig ah!

A very popular misheard lyric was Carly Simon's You're so Vein.  Readers hear "You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself go by."  This makes perfect sence until you add all the pieces of the song together.   The actual lyric is "You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte."   A gavotte is a French dance popular a few centuries ago.  And, bonus, it rhymes with yacht and apricot!    Here is a link if you would like to see someone gavotte.  I would love to see someone do this at a party!   Complete in costume!

Image result for gavotte dance

I would have thought the band Survivor ranked as ok enunciators until I heard from Shaman25!  Instead of "And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night" they heard "And the last known survivor stocks his bread in the night."    Maybe he does both?

Even 70's soft rock can be misheard.  In Sharing the Night Together by Dr Hook, unalert listener MollyB should have heard "Ah yeah, alright.  Cause I like feeling like I do and I can see in your that youre feeling it, ah yeah, alright.  But, she heard "And I can see in your eyes I'm wrapped in a joke!"  All I can say is, ah yeah, alright!

A reader misheard a newer song - Sexy Back by Justin Timberlake.  Correct lyrics are "Go ahead, be gone with it."  Tibsnfibs feels she can't be the only one that hears "Go hippie, go hippie, go with it."  I'm going with Tibsnfibs on this one!

I saved my own for last as many people reminded me that I had no idea what I was singing back in high school.  While the rest of the world was singing  "I wan't to kiss you all over" by Exile, I was in my own world singing "I want to kiss you on the floor."   I still think that is what they are saying.

Do you ever misundertand lyrics?  Let me know!  We'll add the to the list!

Follow me at Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Tinglng, Dammit!

I'm doing a little science project/product review. I have extremely thin lips - nothing new - they've always been thin.  Must be all that talking all my life.  Truly the only skinny thing about me.     I'm all about better living though science - so I am currently trying a hydrating lip plumper. I chose Grande Lips simply because it was in a salon, it was available, and I didn't have to go online and order it.  Did I mention I was lazy?   I went with Clear tone, that way I wasn't cornered into one color. Directions read to apply it twice a day to clean, dry lips for 30 days.  After application I am then free to apply throughout the day with any combinations of other lip products, or alone. This is my lips this morning before applying the plumper. This is after. There was a slight tingling sensation.  It's working dammit! "Don't be alarmed if you feel a slight tingling sensation; that how you know that it's workin

Singing all by Myself

Have you ever been singing loudly with your friends, or a group of people and suddenly everyone stops.  If they aren't staring at you, they are laughing.    It happens to me quite frequently.  There are only two reasons.  One is because I cannot sing and the second is I often mishear lyrics.     Here are a few of my favorite misheard lyrics by me (and the correct lyrics in case you don't know the words, either.  You are welcome!) P robably the worst misheard lyric I claim is from Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart.   The lyrics are: "And I need you now tonight And I need you more than ever And if you only hold me tight We'll be holding on forever And we'll only be making it right 'Cause we'll never be wrong" I totally blame my Catholic education for what I've been singing for 30+ years: And we'll only be naked in Christ    Then there is Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.   Apparently the lyric

Do You Wanna Build a Snow Man? (I Can't. The Boss has Me Shoveling Snow)

 It snowed last night.  A lot.    But fortunately, we bought a snow blower two years ago almost guaranteeing it would not snow last year.   It did not. But, this is a new year and this is my review. Model:  No idea. Maker:  I don't know.  It came from Lowes. Features:  It's red. Price:  It was on sale. Review:   Getcha one. Short and sweet.  Everything you need to know.  Why waste several hours with a shovel when you can turn this baby on and be able to enjoy the rest of your day?   Even the boss gave it thumbs up.