Skip to main content

Won't Get Fooled Again


This happened today.    At a Starbucks drive thru, the cashier asked me if I would like to purchase the order for the person behind me as a random act of kindness.   I said "What?" and quickly added "No," which I'm sure was much more emphatic than the cashier expected. 

What I wanted to say is "A random act of kindness is not random if someone asks you to do it!"   It kind of needs to be my idea and my want.  Not a suggestion of someone else.

This isn't the first time a drive thru has asked me to purchase someone else's food.  The first time I was caught so off guard that I bought $18 worth of food for the person behind me even though my own order was a $1 iced tea.    It was then I realized the only person winning is McDonalds.  They get their money no matter who buys it.   Not random or kind.

I'm not criticizing those that participate in random acts of kindness.  I've been on the receiving end and it's a sweet gesture and thought.  But, that is my whole point.  Someone thought it and acted on it.  McDonalds, Starbucks or Smith and Wollensky didn't suggest it!

Please share your genuine acts of random kindness - either as a provider or a receiver.   I will blog about them in a future post!

Follow me on Facebook




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Looking for Me?

 Alright, peeps!  Big news!   You can now find me at  Fortuosityhouse.com   Want to know what happens when you buy a 180 year old house and have no renovation skills and limited tools?   This is the place to find out!   I'll also blog my new Ohio challenge, media memories from the 70's and 80's and a few of my favorite things.   And sure, a lot of random nothing, too!   A little bit of fortuitious little happy happenstances! This will be my new blog home.   It is much easier to navigate and the posts will be separated by categories making them much easier to find!     I can also be found on Instagram at fortuosity_house and Pinterest at FortuosityHouse.   See you there!  

No Reply at All

Why don't people respond to texts that require immediate attention or can be answered in one word?  Are you alive?   Yes. What time are you leaving?  9:30 What color is your car?  Silver What is the fastest animal?  Cheetah Beatles or Stones?   Stones See how easy that is!    Nobody is asking for a novel, paragraph or even a sentence.  A couple of words is all that is required. A simple emoji will also work.   👎🏻 🍾 🌨  🤔 👀   🐫 ⚰️   🦀   Apple and Samsung have done the work for you.  You just need to hit a button and everyone is happy. I promise if you answer my short text I will quit bothering you.  If you answer with more than a simple yes or no - there probably wont be a followup.   This will save a lot of time and government personnel as I wont have to call the sheriff to do a wellness check, physically drive to your house to see if you are hurt or scan your Facebo...

(There Must Be Some) Misunderstanding

                                          I was overwhelmed with responses to my blog of Jan 19 Singing All By Myself !   Apparently, I am not the only person that mishears or  misunderstands lyrics.   I guess there is some sort of comfort knowing I am not the only one out there. I'll start with one from my own collection.  In the mid 70's there was a song Black Betty by Ram Jam.  Black Betty lyrics were "Oh Black Betty bam ba lam."    My brother would sing "Come back Betty in a scramble van."   A scrambler van, to the unwise, is a vehicle owned by the Barbie.   I kind of prefer that version! Several mentioned mishearing Jimi Hendrix say "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "Excuse me while I kiss the sky"  in Purple Haze.    It was the 60's.....could go either way! A Chicago fan mentioned...